Wednesday, October 29, 2014

EuroTrip: Monaco to Florence and Turning 28

8/2014. Florence.
I had mixed feelings about Florence. I had been there before when I was 19. I had done a trip with my college and we travelled all over Italy. That trip, Florence was my least favorite, but it was also the trip that would decide one of my college majors-- Art History.

So, I felt like I owed Florence a second chance and besides, it was my birthday. We spent much of the day traveling, but we did get to Florence at a reasonable time and we got to walk around a little. This campsite was really nice and clean. I was happy to be there and felt a lot safer there than I had when we stayed outside of Monaco.

It was a long day and with my body still on full-blown bloat mode Phil took me back to our cabin and rubbed my feet for probably a good hour after we had another crappy Contiki dinner. We eventually headed back towards the main area, got a real dinner, a couple of beers and sat outside in the Florence night air. Everyone else had gone back into the city and took part in the Contiki orchestrated karaoke night where a lot of people regretted going the following day when the hangover hit from the 2-liter drinks that the bar your TM takes you to sells you "on special." To me, this seemed like a concerning night when one girl from our tour went unaccounted for (and a guy from our tour went to look for her, no one from Contiki) while others were driven back by strange Italian men that picked them up after they drank 2 liters of alcohol in a bar.

That just seemed like a huge recipe for disaster and in many ways could have been had it gone differently.

I was glad to have stayed in that night and had a quiet birthday with my man who really is the best foot rubber, ever...no really, like EVER.

Phil on the other hand was just overjoyed to be out of France where small portions dominate. Phil couldn't wait to be in his country, Italy and immediately fell in love with Joe Pinette's take on France vs. Italy:


Overall, 28 began probably the best any other age had began up until the point. I was in Europe, with the love of my life and we had an entire trip to still go!  

No comments:

Post a Comment